Monday, September 10, 2012

This is what infiltration looks like...

As long as Occupy remains effective, I will take pleasure in writing about the movement here. Since it debuted, however, Occupy has been infiltrated by agencies and individuals who want nothing less than to see its complete ruin, and it's time we call these moles out on one of their techniques: baselessly accusing others of being infiltrators. It's happened to me too, and anybody who reads this blog or has met me at Occupy events can instantly debunk the infiltrators' claims.

Last month, I warned fellow Occupy peeps on Facebook about a Tea Party rally in Cleveland designed to attack Occupy. Upon hearing of this, Occupiers planned a counterprotest.

But about a week after this warning - only days before the event - somebody who I'd never seen on Facebook or anywhere else stumbled into the group and asked, "who the fuck is Tim Brown ... ?" He then dredged up an Occupy-related article I wrote way back in April and quoted part of it out of context. It was clear he was hoarding my articles for months and waiting for the right time to spring them.

Then another naysayer slapped him on the back and implied that I must have been an infiltrator because I showed "practically no participation in the past" regarding Occupy. That was absurd on its face, because the article was 4 months old. Plus, others can verify that I began participating in Occupy Cincinnati on the day of its very first march - which was last October.

Then the chap who started this exchange suggested Occupy cancel the counterprotest, implying I was a double agent who was just trying to get Occupy into trouble. As a result, the Tea Party event went completely unanswered.

Of course, nobody in Occupy Cincinnati believed that loon, but the damage was done. Who sounds like the real infiltrator - me or him? Whoever put him up to his deception is snickering to themselves about it right now - because it worked.

I'm not the only victim on that particular forum. Just this past weekend, an unfortunate bloke was accused of being a mole who incites violence - although his message did not endorse violence. For my part, I take Occupy's commitment to nonviolence very seriously, as all Occupiers should. It's a matter of solidarity. I have defended myself when assaulted by Occupy opponents, but I will not support initial force. I've yet to see any real Occupiers provoke violence.

It's no wonder nobody takes that page seriously anymore. The more gnawing point though is that the infiltration has thoroughly gutted a once-powerful Occupy chapter.

On the other hand, it's interesting that I was among those targeted. This indicates that some official agency has had me in its crosshairs for a long time - probably since years before Occupy. At minimum, this episode proves I'm doing something right. So I'm gonna keep doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment