Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Attack of the "moderates"

I don't have anything personal against the "moderates" running for the Democratic nomination - like Amy Klobuchar and Pete Buttigieg - but guess what? This is 2020. We should be way past the "moderate" stage now. (I'm not counting Meow Mix Mike as a "moderate", because he's so far removed from reality.)

This era should belong to progressive populists - not "moderates."

With Bernie Sanders winning 2 out of 2 states so far, I keep seeing people say things like, "But the moderates won voters who make over $150,000 a year."

If you're of normal means and insist on supporting a "moderate", I can't stop you. But what do we make of the fact that the "moderates" won more affluent voters? My answer: Who fucking cares?! Why should voters with more money commandeer a Democratic primary?

I'm not here to please people just because they have more money. To think it's important that "moderates" won the richest voters would be like if I was worried that donors to my former high school didn't vote for The Last Word as their favorite zine. Who cares? They're not The Last Word's audience!

It pisses me off to no end that a few affluent voters can have disproportionate influence in a presidential election - in both the primary and the general. We all know general elections are afflicted too, as Republicans do better among wealthier voters each time. But for the outsized influence of the very rich, we'd be living in a much freer society now. Contrast what we have with what we could have had, and it's pretty sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment