Monday, September 27, 2021

Butbutbut what about your sources?

A few words about sources for this blog's entries are in order. I don't mean humorous entries like "A Peter Cetera look-alike bubbled at Olive Garden." I mean serious news items.

This blog used to contain a lot more entries, and most were serious stories. Little by little, I stopped linking to various major news outlets, because they so clearly had a right-wing bias. After a few years, I don't think I even linked to any of America's over-the-air networks, and I think I stopped linking to CNN because it ran a discredited tabloid story claiming a mass shooter was a leftist. Now I very rarely link to any major media at all.

Lately, a few people have criticized me for not trusting major media, even as I quote Twitter blurbs from individuals. The people I follow on Twitter are more trustworthy than major media. Since the pandemic began, I've caught major media in lie after lie, designed to advance their bizarre fetish for continued COVID lockdowns and lockdown culture. Some of the media's statements were demonstrably false, and they also broke their promise that restrictions would be eased when we met certain goals.

I was assailed because the people I read on Twitter supposedly don't have the credentials the media has. That's simply not true. Some of them are statisticians who have advanced degrees, and most of their information is raw numbers, not editorial content that lets them twist things around. One of the best sources for COVID information is an accomplished public defender who became a civil liberties attorney. Two other sources are teachers in the San Francisco Bay Area. Others are doctors and epidemiologists.

They are not conspiracy theorists. The real conspiracy theorists are those in the media who actually claimed with a straight face that states were deliberately undercounting COVID deaths just so they'd have an excuse to lift lockdowns. Democrats and Republicans alike have been the target of this conspiracism - just as both parties were also lockdown perpetrators.

CNN and MSNBC keep whipping up fear among viewers who have become addicted to media fearmongering. These channels are as bad as Fox News was after 9/11. People have lost loved ones to these channels, as they lost others to Fox some 20 years ago. The FCC needs to step in and hold these channels accountable.

It is credentialism to claim that individuals on Twitter count less than established news sources. But it falls flat when you point out these Twitter folks have credentials that are just as strong as those of anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment