Friday, February 15, 2013

Store sells spoiled food (a Street Story)

I've had my fill of getting spoiled or moldy food at a certain supermarket in my part of town. Just now I discovered that some frozen sausage biscuits I purchased there were moldy. A couple weeks ago, I got pepperoni rolls there that were spoiled. Also, for years, the lunchmeat shelf at this store has been full of items that were well past the expiration date.

This store also no longer carries any brand of white bread that is generally edible. The bread shelves are full of loaves that are on the brink of passing their expiration date (if they haven't already). Even the ones that haven't reached their expiration date yet often taste like dish soap or bleach. The only bread they have there now is from off-brands - which cost just as much as the good brands did.

I've shopped at this store for years, but I am never going to shop there again - even if I have to travel much further to a different store. I can't live on stale food.

My longtime readers know that this isn't the first battle I've had with a grocery store habitually selling rotten items. (My earlier struggle led to a mild fear of Cocoa Puffs boxes, even though I was in college.) Who polices this? People can go to jail for participating in an Occupy rally, but there's nobody keeping an eye on stores poisoning the public.

No comments:

Post a Comment