Wednesday, January 4, 2023

What is the meaning of this? ('Sesame Street' Wednesday)

There are still some enjoyable 'Sesame Street' segments out there that I recall fondly but have never found online or on a DVD. However, here's one we can finally cross off that list now that it's surfaced...

That skit featuring Maria, David, and Bob reportedly first aired in 1975. Bob and David portray waiters at a fine restaurant, and Maria is their beleaguered supervisor. This is one of few segments where Bob had a mustache. I was really hoping this sketch was the one in which Maria spoke a famous line that was repeated for the rest of my childhood. Well, I got my wish.

That famous line: "What is the meaning of this?"

I remember many times when I was growing up, somebody would ask, "What is the meaning of this?" Inevitably, somebody would always follow with, "As Maria would say."

I also remember being somewhat frightened by this segment. The characters kept dropping trays and dishes and falling onto the ground, leading me to fear that they might be injured.

But good for David for quitting his waiter job! Now the world knows you can't walk all over David!

No comments:

Post a Comment