Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Attention Kmart shoppers...It's another 'Sesame Street' Wednesday!

Since some of the greatest 'Sesame Street' segments never seem to make their way to YouTube, there's been a drought of material lately for this feature. But I found a 'Sesame Street'-related commercial that's just too uproarious to resist!

I've been hearing rumors that there was once a hilarious commersh for Kmart (the long-struggling retail chain) that featured Rosie O'Donnell and Penny Marshall dancing and singing with Ernie, Big Bird, and other 'Sesame Street' Muppets. Though I did remember the ol' Ses being mentioned in a goofy Kmart ad with Penny and Rosie, I had no recollection of them appearing with the show's lovable Muppet characters.

But guess what? Now I've finally found what I believe to be the ad in question! It aired in 1997, and you're going to roll on the floor in uncontrollable laughter when you view this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLrPdtMkYo4

If you're not overcome by laughter, your funny bone must be busted!

This wasn't the first major link between 'Sesame Street' and a nationwide retailer. In my day, the local J.C. Penney featured Bert and Ernie statues inside the place. No climbing on them was allowed, I'm sure - but they were up too high for even the show's most mature fans to reach.

No comments:

Post a Comment