Monday, June 13, 2011

FTC asked to investigate virus

As of now, the Federal Trade Commission has been asked to probe the CleanerGuard virus (which also uses the stupidly awkward name Cleaned Guard) that hit my computer recently.

Unlike some organizations, which don't seem to believe in the rule of law, we are taking this money-stealing virus very seriously. This follows the complaint I filled out yesterday with the Kentucky Attorney General's office. That complaint will be mailed today.

I just filled out the requisite complaint form on the FTC's website. Because we seem to have a real President now, unlike when the Swen virus hit, I am confident the FTC will at least initiate an investigation.

I am also seriously considering a lawsuit against CleanerGuard. (Remember, they masquerade as a legitimate firm and have a deliverable address.)

The punishment for computer viruses and scams like CleanerGuard should be life in prison. Unfortunately, I don't know of any laws in the U.S. that prescribe such a penalty. It's time our legislators write one. Unfortunately, they're too preoccupied right now with looking at photos of their colleagues' underpants.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,thanks for posting your warning!

    I am also a victim of Cleanerguard.com's
    anti-virus scam, which froze my computer
    and forced me to buy its alleged anti-virus
    program to free my computer. I had to pay
    $79.95 using my credit card in May 2011.
    It used the software name of "2011 XP/Vista
    Internet Security Program."

    US government should investigate and arrest
    those who are running this scam operation.

    Can we, the victims, unite together to
    chase after this rogue company/operators?

    John K

    ReplyDelete