Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Kentucky elections next week!

Here's a heads-up for my fellow Kentuckians...
 
Elections for governor and other statewide offices lurk next Tuesday, November 8! We're out of the endorsement business these days, largely because the Democrats have become such a colossal disappointment, but a few words are in order.
 
Democratic Gov. Steve Beshear is facing challenges from Republican State Sen. David Williams and independent Gatewood Galbraith. Williams of course is an automatic disaster, and he was even a key backer of the hated pseudoephedrine prescription bill. Galbraith used to be great, as he built a reputation as a forward-thinking populist with strong labor and civil liberties support. Now he's just miserable after abandoning his signature causes. I strongly supported Galbraith in years past, but I can no longer do so. He recently abandoned labor by endorsing making it illegal for public employees to go on strike. And now (despite gaining fame by opposing the failed War on Drugs) he's even begun supporting Williams's pseudoephedrine bill (after having initially opposed it). (No, I'm not making this up. He backed it in a KET debate just last night.)
 
I have no choice but to vote for Beshear next Tuesday. Beshear is hardly a household name outside Kentucky, thanks to his lack of controversy, but at least he has just enough of a populist streak that I could vote for him - however reluctantly.
 
In other statewide elections next week, it's slim pickins. I'm obviously not voting Republican in any of them, though both Attorney General candidates are so uninspiring and out of step with the office's aims that I'm withholding my vote altogether in that contest. It's a damn shame, but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.
 
Coverage of electoral politics is what's made this blog as grand as it is, and I hope to have some laughs at the GOP's expense next Tuesday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment