Monday, November 14, 2011

The Media's "Zuccotti lung" hypocrisy

Is "Zuccotti lung" anything like "Brossart lung"?

The Media is generating much rumpus about the Occupy protests allegedly spreading "Zuccotti lung", which appears to be a relatively mild flu-like ailment resulting from people gathering in close quarters. For instance, a contributor to Yahoo! (a company that turns in journalists to the Chinese government) has written a right-wing commentary blasting Occupiers for this condition. But they don't raise a peep about the unclean practices that pervade our schools that cause more severe illnesses that recur for years.

When I was in high school, I came down with what I believe to be dengue fever - which I suspect was from the conditions at school. My school seemed to have made itself into a diorama of a Third World dictatorship with all the tyranny and disease that goes with it. It seemed like I was sick half the time I went to this school, and nobody did shit about it.

This goes on at lots of schools, and I just don't understand why people put up with it. That remains a mystery.

If Occupy camps spread as much disease as most American schools today do, they'd be shut down by the health department instantly. The fact that they haven't proves they're mighty clean in comparison. I suspect "Zuccotti lung" is just The Media's name for finding a booger in your nose. If it's anything more than that, it's partly - though not entirely - the cities' fault for not always providing proper sanitation at their parks. For example, I remember a few months ago noticing that the restrooms at Fountain Square were locked even though it was the middle of the day. Are people supposed to shit in the hallway of the Fifth Third building?

That said, we can all practice common sense when we attend an Occupy event, and I don't know anybody in the movement who would encourage anything to spread germs. With the examples that were set for us in school, it's a wonder we're as sanitary as we are.

What goes on in our schools borders on germ warfare. Nay, I think we can accurately say it IS germ warfare. I don't see how the level of disease filling our schools can be accomplished by accident. In fact, in the mid-'90s, a major corporation that sold cold "remedies" paid the Cincinnati school system to put several of its schools on a year-round calendar. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say they intentionally created a biohazard just to sell more product.

The Media has no business lecturing the Occupy movement about spreading illness while schools' germ warfare is swept under the rug.

No comments:

Post a Comment