Tuesday, July 7, 2009

0% chance of GOP comeback in '10

I think this is the first time since I became old enough to follow politics that I've put forth such hilarious odds like this for any election.

If it seems obvious who's going to win, I always place the odds for the underdog at 1% at worst.

But not this time. The Republicans are out of luck.

The 2010 congressional elections are still 16 months away, and since the GOP is already in campaign mode, I guess it's not too early to say what their odds are.

I can say with confidence the Republicans have a 0% chance of retaking control of either the Senate or the House.

It won't happen. It just won't.

Moreover, I think the chance that they will even make a net gain of any seats in either house is closer to 0% than it is to 1%.

I would have given them a 1% chance of retaking Congress in 1994. The fact that they did is why it was 1% and not 0%. But this time, they are completely, utterly up Bunk Gas Creek. Nobody outside the wingnutosphere is even taking the national party seriously anymore.

I'm very rarely optimistic, but the GOP has so little appeal outside its narrow base that it's no longer even a national party. In 2008, the Republicans placed behind the Greens in at least one congressional election. And I can tell you which party is growing, and which one isn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment