Saturday, July 11, 2009

Kid buys gum (Bubble Gum Weekend)

I'm relieved to finally find this old ad.

For our Bubble Gum Weekend feature to stay afloat, at least one new gum commercial must appear online each week - which means gum ads had to have been produced at the rate of at least one per week. And the ads must be noteworthy in some way.

Just when I thought I'd have to go into reruns, I finally found this Bubble Yum ad from 1982 that I do recall:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSI046ckbtQ

Although nobody bubbled in this commersh, it is notable nonetheless.

The little twerp in the ad seems to be addicted to gum. It looks like he already has 15 packs of the damn stuff in his mouth, and he buys more!

He has no parental supervision at all. He just roams the neighborhood buying up all the gum.

But I wonder how effective this ad was without bubbling. The commersh really didn't extol any remarkable traits of Bubble Yum. This was the '80s, when gum was the national religion, but every brand needed a gimmick to make it stand out. This commercial seems to have nothing of that sort.

Gum is cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment