Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The way the inauguration ought to be

Since we're on the topic of the presidential inauguration, I want to regale you with something that I'd just absolutely love to see - but there's not a chance in hell it will happen.

When Gerald Ford took the Oath of Office, he said, "My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over."

No truer words were ever spoken - unless Barack Obama speaks them again during his inaugural speech. And you know he won't. But it would be downright uproarious if he did!

Apparently it's a tradition for the outgoing President to sit behind the new Commander-in-Chief during the inaugural speech. So here's what I'd love to see: During his speech, I want to see Obama say, "Our long national nightmare is over."

And then I want to see him turn around, look at Bush, and say, "Isn't that right, George?"

If Bush couldn't be impeached in 8 years, he can at least be humiliated in front of the entire country.

Again, I don't expect this to happen. And even if it did, nothing is worth the past 8 years of horror. But it would be a moment to savor.

No comments:

Post a Comment