Sunday, January 25, 2009

Yet another Bush power grab reversed!

I was afraid that after Obama reappointed Robert Gates, he was just going to be a third term of Clinton, but Obama's first week in office has been great!

President Obama has already reversed several of Bush's illegal power grabs on homeland security, and now he's on his way to restoring rules for Big Business that Bush gutted.

Tomorrow, Obama is scheduled to allow the states to set tougher car emissions and fuel efficiency standards. Bush - who apparently thought of himself as an emperor rather than as a leader of a republic - had spitefully robbed the states of this constitutional power.

Obama is also instituting fuel efficiency regulations to comply with a 2007 law Bush ignored.

Will things continue at this rate? I wish I could say so, but with the DLC around, I'd probably just be setting myself up for a '90s-style disappointment.

(Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/26/us/politics/26calif.html)

3 comments:

  1. You are jumping the gun a little bit. Nothing's being reversed yet. The new Decider is ordering the EPA to review requests from California and other states to raise fuel efficiency standards. It seems likely Schwarzenegger will get his wish.

    Now, to figure out how the crumbling American auto industry will pay for complying with these new standards which will vary from state to state. I don't have any good ideas, but I bet this will mean more taxpayer money going to GM, Ford and Chrysler. I doubt simply withdrawing from the California auto market is a real option. What do you think, Tim?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what I think? Pooing is cool. That's what I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe one morning we'll wake up, turn on the TV, and they'll say "The past 8 years were just a dream...a horrible horrible dream."

    ReplyDelete