Friday, May 16, 2008

Website to grade schools on bullying?

This is an idea I've been thinking of for the past few days. With the school year ending (in most of America, but not in many of Kentucky's prison schools), this might be of less relevance right now, but now we've got the whole summer to plan it!

This idea is inspired by websites that let people post reviews of schools. (And let me tell you, some of the reviews of my first high school ain't pretty.) My idea is like this, except that it would specifically focus on how much the school tolerates student harassment. It would contain a file for every school - from grade school through college - and allow students, parents, alumni, and even teachers to rate their school on how much it lets serial bullies get away with. It would also include a comment section for each institution.

Each file would also show whether the school has a stated policy on harassment and if the school has any harassment-related news stories.

I just remembered that I had something similar in the late '90s on GeoCities but it was poorly organized and focused on exposing individuals who had created trouble in the past. Needless to say, the GeoStapo put an end to that after a few months.

So let's try to get some ideas together. I don't have the money or time to start a solid, comprehensive site like the one I'm proposing, but maybe somebody who does will see this entry and adopt this plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment