Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Texting while driving? Don't do it!

I'm glad a court has affirmed what should have been considered common sense - and what would have been a given if cell phones were widespread 30 years ago.

Long story short: If you send text messages to someone you know is at the wheel, and another motorist is injured as a result, you can be sued. A New Jersey court has just ruled on this.

Is this ruling fair? You bet it is!

The suit was filed by a couple that was seriously injured when another traveler crossed the centerline of a road while answering a text message. Both victims lost a leg in the resulting crash.

One of these days, some rogue debt collector is going to call someone while they're driving and cause a wreck. I hope this lawsuit has set a powerful precedent that will wipe the smug smirk off the bill collector's face when the gavel drops.

This is also why I've tried to make it clear as pee to family and friends that my cell phone is for my convenience - not for them to play with. People should know better than to expect me to fumble around for my cell phone when it would be dangerous to do so.

(Source: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/08/30/1235118/-Text-someone-who-s-driving-and-you-might-get-sued-a-torts-lesson)

No comments:

Post a Comment