Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Kentucky still holds out against REAL ID fascism

Every 4 years - when I have to renew my driver's license - I always get to report on whether or not Kentucky has begun complying with REAL ID. REAL IDiot is a right-wing law enacted by Bush and backed by the fascist Heritage Foundation that tries forcing states to erect a needless amount of red tape just to get a photo ID - red tape that's impossible for many Americans to meet. It's convenient that I get to report on it right before each congressional midterm.

This morning, I renewed my ID, but I was worried sick that I'd need a birth certificate now - though I never needed one before just to renew it. The reason I was so worried was that I'm taking a bus to the St. Louis roadmeet next month, and Greyhound doesn't accept expired ID's - plus I was worried that a family member had lost my birth certificate and I wouldn't be able to get it replaced in time. But no bother! The woman at the DMV today said no birth certificate was needed - much to the chagrin of the REAL ID thought police.

Luckily, Kentucky still stands out as "noncompliant" with REAL ID. However, I'm furious that so many other states have apparently caved. If REAL IDiot kept me from going to St. Louis - and ended up wasting tens of dollars of my hard-earned money, since it's a nonrefundable ticket - there would have been unshirted hell to pay.

Submission is treason. So Kentucky should go a step further than merely not complying with REAL ID. There should be a state law imposing stiff criminal penalties for public officials if they attempt to comply. The law should also prohibit airports within the state from requiring that a traveler's ID comply with REAL ID.

These days, an ID isn't just a driver's license. It's a license just to exist. With the expansion of Soviet-style devices, any business or peace officer can now just demand that you show your ID at any time. I've seen people arrested for not carrying their ID. "Papers, please" is the rule in modern America.

No comments:

Post a Comment