Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Kentucky legislators threaten to overturn election

After Matt Bevin lost handily, he's refusing to concede, and Republican sore losers in the Kentucky legislature are threatening to vote to overturn the election result.

If they did, it would be a coup unprecedented in modern America. Does this mean Democrats can retroactively award Kentucky's electoral votes in 1988 to Michael Dukakis? That would make more sense.

Mainstream media probably should have just ignored Republicans' tantrum, because it just lends a voice to the right-wing noise machine and makes lawmakers' complaints appear more legitimate - even though they have no case.

The polling average was 8 points off from the results - which is not a record, by the way - but the election was still decisive enough that it was called by 10 PM. The Republicans' argument seems to be that the election was close enough that it shouldn't really count. Well, we can argue that Republican votes that resulted from the media favoring them shouldn't count either. If our side dodged a bullet, so did theirs. Would it have been so hard for the media to have not repeated right-wing propaganda all these years?

You can make similar arguments about your own life. You can say I narrowly missed having my life destroyed by an incompetent shrink when I was 13. But the other side narrowly missed not being able to put me in that situation in the first place. You can say I narrowly missed not making only $800/month instead of $1,000. But the other side narrowly missed not depriving me of opportunities I would have otherwise had, where I'd be making a lot more. In fact, my home growing up was only a mile from a school district boundary, so the other side narrowly missed not forcing me to suffer under an inferior school system.

So it all balances out.

No comments:

Post a Comment