Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Horseshit theory summarized

A synopsis of American politics under lockdown culture...

• The left and right agree that a governor who is otherwise one of the most right-wing governors in America has had one of the best responses to the pandemic, thanks to her state's lack of lockdowns or other major restrictions.

• The main dissenters from this view are the loudmouths on so-called "liberal" blogs that began supporting lockdowns to appease their advertisers. (These websites had steadfastly opposed stay-at-home orders before mid-March.)

• The left and right agree that a Republican governor with one of the most authoritarian responses to the crisis should be impeached.

• The biggest dissenters from that notion are "moderate" Democrats - who are inexplicably considered "moderate" despite their apologia for authoritarian measures instituted by a Republican.

Horseshoe theory? It's more like the horseshit theory. In my time, I've stepped in dog shit. I'm sure I've stepped in cat shit. I bet I've even stepped in rabbit shit. But the totalitarian lockdown culture is horseshit. People oppose politicians when these politicians completely lack any shred of humanity, ethics, or respect for the country's values - and whip up panic to promote their plans. One critic of the horseshoe theory says so-called centrists actually support fascist governments, and I think that applies here. I think it's fair to say some governors are indeed fascist.

We live in a time and place - a dystopia, if you will - where the so-called noble middle ground means supporting fascism.

And trust me, at all the meet-ups and Internet forums where I meet real leftists, they're every bit as opposed to lockdown culture as anyone else is. Media coverage is considered as much of a joke as lockdown politicians are. When I first voted in 1991, nobody who was considered to be liberal would have issued stay-at-home orders or closed schools for 6 months over a virus like this. It wasn't in any pandemic playbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment