Sunday, September 23, 2012

3CDC violates ADA at Oktoberfest

Cincinnati's version of Oktoberfest is the city's biggest annual festival. I often call it Ploptoberfest because people keep throwing things in the toilets year after year. And 3CDC is the cabal of corporate powers that governs many downtown landmarks these days.

Letting 3CDC run any public facility used at Oktoberfest is a recipe for disaster. It shows, because today I went to Oktoberfest and found that 3CDC has apparently never heard of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Many folks can't stay on their feet for too long due to health conditions, and they need a place to sit periodically - but 3CDC denied this to them.

In this photo, 3CDC has fenced off the seating around the flagpole at Fountain Square...



Here they've fenced off another area traditionally used for seating...



This photo shows how 3CDC has fenced off this ledge that was used as seating and blocked it with unsturdy tables...



What besides sheer meanness could have motivated 3CDC to block its seating areas? I suspect their argument would be that the seating is closed for everyone, not just those who need it - but the point of my argument is that those who don't need it don't need it. That makes 3CDC guilty of discrimination.

I am absolutely livid about this!

When I saw it, I sent out a text blast for Occupy Cincinnati to gather on Fountain Square for an action against the fences, but I don't think any of the Occupy regulars saw it. But the police sure did. I went and buyed a slice of cheesecake, and when I got back, there was a policeman guarding the fence around the flagpole.

I will remember this. And I will be on 3CDC's case about this like stink on shit from tonight until the end of time. 3CDC really stepped in it this time, and I will make sure people know about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment