Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Surprise! ('Sesame Street' Wednesday)

Although Snuffy is absent from this innovative classic 'Sesame Street' sketch, this is a Snuffleupagus moment! That's what I call it when I'm proven right about something after everyone insisted for years I was wrong - like when Big Bird finally introduced Snuffy to the rest of the 'Sesame Street' kick-ass crew, who had long denied his existence.

For decades, I've insisted there was a 'Sesame Street' segment in which the main premise was "surprise!" This cry was accompanied by the human cast members having pies smashed in their faces.

People didn't believe me that 'Sesame Street' characters would dare throw pies at each other. But pie they did, and now YouTube has once again saved the day...



According to the YouPube page, that segment dates from 1975, though some argue it was slightly later. The sound effect of the pie splat was the same one regularly used on 'The Electric Company'. We all know people who mimic this sound regarding occurrences that have absolutely nothing to do with pies.

While "surprise!" is the main idea of this segment, imagine my surprise when I finally found it on YouTube!

2 comments: