Saturday, December 8, 2012

No 95

Since this is a weekend, you don't want to read about politics. You'd rather read about tame radio stations from 30 years ago.

Here's an exhibit that'll make you roll on the floor in helpless guffawing...

http://las-solanas.com/arsa/surveys_item.php?svid=29332&lidx=1&lttl=28974&lcnt=20&srt1=tsc_psv%20DESC

After being exposed to that as a youngster, it's a miracle I didn't grow up to become a thoroughly fucked-up individual.

Don't get me wrong: I enjoy hearing some of the songs on that top 20 survey every now and then. But Yes 95 was an entire station full of nothing but!

When I was 8 or 9, almost every weekday evening was the same: In the run-up to dinner, my mom always blared Yes 95 on the stereo in the living room - filling the entire house with that station's laugh-o-septic music selection.

Incidentally, by late 1981 when that survey was printed, Yes 95 was AC, not top 40. Why in the fuck did Billboard still include them on the Hot 100 panel? (I discovered this recently when Google Books posted old Billboard issues.) Even when I was 8 years old, I could tell the difference between Yes 95 and Q-102.

That survey also brings up a fond memory of a misheard lyric. One day, I was playing with Matchbox and Hot Wheels cars in the bedroom when I first heard Dan Fogelberg singing, "I'm just a living legacy to the leader of the band." Yep, it was Yes 95 thumping in from the stereo! When I heard this song, I thought to myself, "What in the hell is a 'living magazine'?"

I'll bet you this: That survey has to be only a few weeks away from when I thought Bertie Higgins sang about "boogies in the car."

No comments:

Post a Comment