Saturday, June 22, 2013

Union busters don't scare me

I don't know whether anyone in the local Tea Party thinks I can be intimidated. I remember when they failed to show up for their own protest in Wilder, and I always thought it was because I announced my intent to crash it. They did have their tour bus watching me at one of my pro-library rallies, but I don't know if they knew that I knew it was them. A few days ago, I publicly challenged them on the Cincinnati Enquirer's website to defend their stance on unions, and they never took me up on the challenge.

Fact is, I'm not afraid of them or anyone else who tries to break labor unions.

Although I'm a freelancer and don't have a fixed worksite, I joined the National Writers Union yesterday. I'm serious about selling more of my writings - and using my work as a force for good. If I had union representation when AdSense pulled my account because of this blog's political views, I might have been able to at least get back my ad revenues that AdSense stole. But now I'm planning a new writing job, and I have every expectation that it will be far, far more lucrative than ones I had earlier.

The NWU is part of the United Auto Workers, surprisingly. The NWU represents writers of books, 'Net content, and other material.

Spiting the Tea Party sounds like a damn good reason to join a union. The teaburglars hate unions, so there must be something mighty good about unions, right? But the significance of unions is much deeper than that. Zillions of Americans have close family members who were union workers for decades. The unions fought hard to give them their weekends, vacations, and other benefits.

Message for the Tea Party and other union busters: You do not scare me one damn bit. I must absolutely terrify the Tea Party, seeing how they fell silent when I challenged them the other day. They know who I am, and they wish I'd go away. I'm ruining their day, every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment