Sunday, July 7, 2013

Brossart defender starts flamewar

I've always been flabbergasted how people expect me to heap praise upon Bishop Brossart High School in Alexandria, Kentucky - after the way the school treated me when I attended school there. It's almost as mind-numbing as the actual cover-up of the events in question.

And you're never, ever supposed to criticize the school. Why? Because shut up, that's why.

A few days ago, someone posted an old photo of a school building in a local interest Facebook group asking if people could identify it. As "luck" would have it, the building was part of Brossart. The structure is gone now, because the school replaces buildings faster than major league sports teams replace stadiums - and most of the new classrooms end up sitting empty because of sluggish enrollment.

A Brossart grad responded to the photo. He said of the building, "I think it was demolished sometime in the late 80's."

I replied, "It's too bad the rest of Brossart wasn't demolished along with it."

Whoa, man! He didn't like that! He responded, "Go back under your bridge troll." Sorry, but I don't happen to have a bridge troll.

I replied, "Make me."

And the rest as they say is history.

You know, the Brossart thought police would be a lot more interesting if they had better material, if they had any material that was less than 25 years old, or if most of their right-wing codswallop like the above wasn't soaked in classism. This is what Brossart teaches. This isn't the first time I've noticed their classist bullying even on Facebook.

Another Brossart graduate observed, "I'm sure Tim Brown is jesting with all of us since this site promotes fond memories for Campbell Countians, right Tim?" If it promotes fond memories, why are we talking about Brossart?

Truth is, the school's actions that I witnessed as a student can't be defended. Utterly, completely indefensible.

No comments:

Post a Comment