Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Coming soon: the Purple People Cam

Cameras wear out.

I've had the Eyewitness Cam since 2008, and it's provided years of reliable service. The counter on this digital camera is up to 7,148 photos and videos.

Unfortunately, it's becoming a victim of spotted fever - which afflicts many cameras of this particular discontinued model. A huge, round, gray spot now appears on many of my photos. It started about a year ago. I thought I fixed it, but now it's back and it shows no sign of ebbing.

According to photography websites, spotted fever cannot be easily cured. It's caused by dust on the sensor, which requires sending it back to the maker to be repaired.

The Eyewitness Cam also has other, less serious signs of age. The serial number label is peeling off, the battery cover won't close all the way, the rubber protector has fallen off of said cover, and the lens motor makes an ominous clicking sound. The real story is that a precision device - especially a camera - has lasted 6 years without becoming completely inoperable. Most devices these days don't last nearly that long. My experience has been that cameras usually break completely after about 2 or 3 years. If not, they usually become obsolete after about 5 years. I had a very expensive 35mm camera stolen from me after about a year.

So the fact that spotted fever is the most serious problem with the Eyewitness Cam after 6 years is remarkable. Then again, as far as I know, the Action Cam still works fine after 11 years, but that bulky device has been archaic since I got the Eyewitness Cam.

It's unfortunate that spotted fever requires professional treatment. Someone else who reported that their camera was afflicted was met with this response: "Sorry." There is little hope.

Sending it in to be fixed would cost more than a new camera. So I'm buying a new one. It's the same brand, but a different model. It's purple.

No comments:

Post a Comment