Monday, May 12, 2014

Stop deleting my posts, Facebook

Shame on you, Facebook. Shame, shame, shame.

I've known for years that Facebook occasionally deletes my posts. I actually left Facebook for a while after they deleted my posts because the Campbell County Schools told them to. The difference now is that they're working overtime to try to hide the fact they've been deleting posts.

I first started suspecting this cover-up a couple weeks ago when I went to Occupy Cincinnati's May Day rally, where some of the other Occupy peeps told me they unearthed some fucked-up shit about Facebook. Among other things, Facebook was blocking invitations for anti-Monsanto events from getting out.

I regularly comment on the articles on the Cincinnati Enquirer's website - whose comment feature is powered by Facebook. I comment because it's necessary to debunk the many embarrassing letters submitted by right-wing readers who form the Enquirer's primary audience. Just today, I found a letter by some right-wing whack-a-doodle supporting a property requirement for voting.

Also today, I confirmed that Facebook was deleting my comments on the Enquirer's site - and trying to hide that they were doing so. They hid it by making it so my comments are visible to me when I'm logged in - but only to me. When I log off from Facebook, my comments are not visible. They make my comments visible only to me - in the hopes that I won't know my comments are hidden from everyone else.

Slick, huh?

There's been some speculation that it's actually the Enquirer deleting my posts. It's possible they played a part in it, but it's certain Facebook did. It's Facebook that programmed the comment feature and endowed it with the capability of hiding the fact that my posts are being deleted. The Enquirer didn't program Facebook's comment feature.

I guess this is to be expected after Facebook made its community pages harder to use in an effort to stifle Occupy.

No comments:

Post a Comment