Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Legislature thinks it can gut county name change

The Republican Right doesn't know when to shut up - despite still having no mandate to govern.

Now that voters in Shannon County, South Dakota, have voted 80% to change the county's name to Oglala Lakota County, the predominantly white supremacist South Dakota legislature thinks it has to approve the change before it becomes official.

Wrong. It's the people's county. It's not the legislature's county.

For one thing, the entire county is part of Pine Ridge Indian Reservation - a sovereign territory.

I go by what the county says. Not by what the legislature says. As far as I'm concerned, the name change is official. As a cartographer in my side job, I will consider the change official in all that I do.

The people's county, the people's rules. Not the legislature's county, not the legislature's rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment