Friday, July 3, 2015

Stop blocking our alley, Chris

Just because you're a state senator doesn't mean you get to obstruct the public right-of-way. We're a society, and we have laws, you know.

This morning, I heard some commotion outside my apartment. I looked out my home office window and detected a McD Enterprises truck just sitting there blocking the alley - completely.

Now, for those unawares, McD Enterprises is owned by far-right Kentucky State Sen. Chris McDaniel. McDaniel was Jamie Comer's choice for lieutenant governor before Comer lost to another far-right candidate - Matt Bevin - in the Republican primary. (Comer lost by only 83 votes despite his domestic violence scandal.) McDaniel is also a leading advocate of the laughable Fort Thomas freeway proposal.

We're not even in McDaniel's district. (Then again, there aren't many good districts, since the Kentucky Senate is illegally gerrymandered.) What makes him think he can send his trucks here to unlawfully block traffic?

But there the truck sat.

A motorist appeared to be trying to get their pickup truck through but was obstructed by the forces of doom. What if there was an emergency? What if my apartment was on fire, and the fire engine couldn't get through? It would serve McDaniel right if I lost my apartment, had to move to his district, and cast the deciding vote against him in 2016.