Monday, May 2, 2011

Microsoft just scammed me out of tens of dollars

I guess Bill Gates thinks I'm comprised of money like he is.

Earlier, I was at my computer, when several Windows Security boxes came up saying my computer was infected. Windows Security automatically ran a scan and found 32 viruses.

This program offered to fix the viruses - but only if I paid tens of dollars for a license for the full version of Windows Security.

When I say tens of dollars, I mean more than $10 but less than $100. Still, it's more than I have budgeted for the next couple weeks. And I had no choice whatsoever. I wasn't allowed to open any browser until I got rid of the viruses. (Then again, why would I want to?)

If Windows Security finds viruses, the correct thing for Windows Security to do is fucking get rid of them. Not make me pay a 2-figure sum just to keep my computer from getting hosed. That's extortion. I paid hundreds for the computer, and I don't expect to have to keep paying huge sums just to make it last more than 4 years.

When garbage like viruses get on my computer, I want them gone. End of story.

And I don't know where the viruses came from or why I was targeted. Maybe this is like the Swen virus that targeted progressive lists and destroyed my old Windows 98 machine. The Bush regime never lifted a finger to catch who was behind that.

I have my own suspicions about why I was targeted this time, but the real point of this entry is Microsoft's insistence at squeezing money out of folks just to get rid of viruses.

1 comment:

  1. "The Bush regime never lifted a finger to catch who was behind that."


    Yes, the federal government exists to assuage your paranoia.

    ReplyDelete