Friday, July 1, 2011

Book burners still burnin' books

"This chapter tells our 3rd-graders they have a voice and they should get involved."

A parent in Frederick, Maryland, said that regarding a social studies textbook. That statement sounds like a positive review of the book - not a negative critique.

But the person who said that happens to be a right-wing nut - who is trying to have the book yanked from the local school system, simply because it appears to teach our young people that they have a voice.

So I guess the book burners think we're supposed to teach kids that they're property, not people. It's obvious that's what they want.

I wish somebody told me when I was in 3rd grade that I had a voice. I would have turned out to be a much better and smarter citizen much earlier. The only voice I thought I had when I was in 3rd grade was the desperate cry that accompanied getting paddled at school. Insight and civics were dirty words in these parts. Children were treated as property.

I'm a working man, and I'm breaking my back to do right for my country. I'll be damned if I'm going to let a bunch of right-wing control freaks deprive America's young people of the knowledge of their constitutional rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment