Tuesday, July 5, 2011

GOP candidate wants to bar homeless from voting

The Republicans have completely lost it. They don't say anything with a damn bit of smarts or sense anymore.

A man who gave me free firewood (i.e., his campaign literature) while I was monitoring a laughably feeble Tea Party rally now wants to prohibit the homeless from voting.

Bill Johnson - a Tea Party-backed race-baiter who is now the Republican nominee for Kentucky Secretary of State (and is trailing in polls badly) - has shared with the press his wacky ideas on electoral republicanism.

For decades, Kentucky has had a process for allowing the homeless to vote. Indeed, the U.S. Constitution guarantees the homeless the same right to vote as everybody else. In Kentucky, if the homeless can't provide a fixed address, they are registered in the precinct where the county clerk's office is. Makes sense, since the homeless are most likely to live in central cities.

But Bill Johnson grumbled, "If an address cannot be determined, then a person should not be allowed to vote. It's that simple."

Um, state law and the Constitution say they have a right to vote, Bill. IT'S THAT SIMPLE. If I become homeless between now and November, do you honestly think I'd stay home from the polls? I'm an American, and I will vote. I fought too hard for my rights to have Bill Johnson take them away.

This is the Republicans' next step towards instituting a property requirement for voting. Tennessee has almost done exactly that. I'll be damned if I'm gonna let anybody take my right to vote away just because I'm not enough of an aristocrat to actually own any real property. I work too hard to lose my rights. If they want to take me to jail for daring to vote, let them.

Damn. The Republicans are just completely batshit.

(Source: http://www.kypost.com/dpps/news/ky.-sees-increase-in-homeless-voters_6509346)

No comments:

Post a Comment