Saturday, August 27, 2011

Checkbook clergy's day is past

There's a study that just came out showing that working-class Americans have been abandoning religious services at a much faster rate than the financial elite.

There's been some speculation about why, but my theory is this: All too often, people get nothing but total bullshit when they go to church.

I hate to say it, but it's absolutely true. Granted, not every house of worship dishes out vile nonsense to beleaguered congregants, but there's quite a few that do. There's a lot of checkbook clergy out there who preach the divine right of kings each week and tell folks they're going to hell if they don't accept their lot and don't vote Republican. So how do you expect people to react?

Personally, I've noticed that the more a person brags of their own piety, the more likely they are to bash the poor and working class. Sad but true.

Why should we or anybody else who isn't rich be subjected to this each week? Nobody wants to be told from the pulpit - or by fellow congregants - that there's something wrong with them because they don't have money. But that's what's being preached by some of today's clergy. Worse, these checkbook clergy feel entitled to have their views shape public policy.

I for one am in no mood to hear about how I supposedly caused my own misfortunes - at church or anywhere else. If I want to hear it, all I need to do is listen to AM radio.

No comments:

Post a Comment