Wednesday, September 19, 2018

I guess Republicans just don't know how to act right

I can't believe that one of America's major political parties is trying to normalize the inability to control one's own behavior.

I got my first job in 1991, and I knew how to behave in the workplace. This was just before my senior year of high school, and I knew the right way to act around people I knew from school or in the community. Society had standards that governed proper behavior.

Let that sink in for a moment. That was 27 years ago - which is a long time - in what was then one of the least liberated places in America. Yet our community standards at the time were still more enlightened than what the Republicans try to foist on America today.

This is an area where those who stepped out of line became the target of harassment and threats. This is an area where the President would have been fully justified in deploying the Army to keep order against right-wing terrorism. Yet the area was still ahead of where the GOP is today.

This is an area that allows a violent anti-bicycling group that endorses running cyclists off the road. Of course, nearly all its members are alumni of one right-wing private high school, but the point stands: The Republican Party lags behind where my area was in 1991!

The GOP stands behind those who do things that I've known my whole life not to do. Some of the acts they stand behind were recognized as crimes even in some of the world's earliest criminal codes. The Republicans lag behind by more than just 27 years. They lag by thousands of years!

No comments:

Post a Comment