Saturday, July 11, 2009

Digital disaster

The iron balloon of digital TV is sinking fast, and there's an interesting new article in the Cincinnati Enquirer (of all places) about this unqualified disaster:

http://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20090710/ENT/307100070

If so many viewers in the Cincinnati market lose most or all of their TV reception, think what it's like in, say, rural Colorado. Indeed, viewers even within the Cincinnati metropolitan area have reported losing all TV reception.

I predicted this very problem years ago, simply because it's inherent in digital broadcasting. And now this problem is real. How nice of Bush to delay the digital transition until the exact moment that the next guy would be blamed for it.

I hate to rain on the digital parade, but I can foresee only one solution: bringing back analog TV.

I can hear the sighs right now, but what's the alternative? If you have a better idea, talk to me, folks!

3 comments:

  1. I put an $80 antenna on the roof and I can get every Cincinnati and every Dayton channel (about 50 miles away) in perfect HD/Digital quality. I can watch Sesame Street on 5 or 6 differet channels. I don't know what the big deal is. We were using 50's technology (color, hacked on to 30s tech). This has nothing to do with Bush.

    Besides, this really doesn't effect poor people. Every time I drive through a poor area, there's a satellite dish on every house - those come wiht a hefty monthly fee. So they're not even using free over the air reception.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those aren't satellite dishes (at least not of the Directv/Dish variety). Those are bowl antennas for receiving the nearest OTA stations.

    You see them a lot in areas where coverage is poor. In these areas you either have a bowl antenna, or no TV at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're sat tv dishes, say directv on them, pointed south at the sat. This is in a large city, only a few miles from ota transmitters.

    ReplyDelete