Monday, July 6, 2009

Pounds protect against disease

This study has been ignored by every major media outlet except the New York Times. When I read this story, a flag immediately went up.

According to this hypothesis (which is put forth by numerous scientists), body fat stores energy and boosts your immune system. This created an advantage for "overweight" individuals during tuberculosis outbreaks in the 19th century.

I should have known it wasn't just a figment of my imagination that underweight people who lived on low-fat foods reported getting sick more often.

It's all coming together now.

Makers of cold and flu medicines bankrolled the government's redefinition of "obesity" of the late '90s - the definition that is still "official" today. Read between the lines.

In case you don't want to read between the lines, I'll put it in plain English: They bankrolled it because they knew people would get sick more often - and buy their products (which don't even work anyway).

If this isn't abundantly clear, then I'm sorry. I can't help you.

But I can help myself. I have, and I will continue to do so. I don't give one flying fuck what corporate-funded weight guidelines say, and I never did. I was suspicious of it 10 years ago, and I don't trust a word of it now.

(Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/24/health/research/24fat.html)

1 comment:

  1. I don't think you really understood what you read there, Tim.

    ReplyDelete