Saturday, December 31, 2011

Peace Bike reopens path

New Year's Eve has given the world a stark preview of the 2012 Tim, and from the looks of it, it's not going to be pretty for the Evil Empire.

The Peace Bike will be 8 years old in 2012, and it still coasts along. Today I took the Peace Bike to downtown Cincinnati again, and on the way back, we showed the Far Right who's boss.

There's a path for pedestrians and bicyclists running from Pete Rose Way to 3rd, across from the Purple People Bridge. The path was fine on the way into town today, but on the way back, I found it blocked by an unusually wide and tall traffic cone. This wouldn't have been a huge deal, except that the closure of this path would require cyclists to detour all the way to Eggleston Avenue.

So I just kicked down the cone and plowed right on through.

The other end of the path presented an even greater obstacle. Not only were there oddly shaped traffic cones, but the path was completely blocked with yellow tape. So the Peace Bike just broke right through the tape and left it dangling from the toppled cones.

The attempt to permanently close this much-needed path was almost certainly driven by classism. There's no question in my mind about that. Why else would they close it except to keep us masses from marauding into Lytle Park? So I took it upon myself to reopen the path. Fair is fair.

Incidentally, I just checked the county property map, and I've confirmed that the path is indeed public property. So the Evil Empire loses again.

No comments:

Post a Comment