Friday, February 22, 2013

Guns and stalkers don't mix

Today I'm endorsing an idea for a gun bill that doesn't hamper the liberty of any normal individual one iota.

Fighting serial harassers has been an evergreen throughout the 20 years since I started my publication - and it's because they and their apologists have chosen to make it one. At the same time, the Really Serious People refused to even cover this topic.

You can read my writings about the assholes year after year. But when you're forced to deal with them in person on a daily basis like I did, it's breathtaking. By the time I was 16, I was in disbelief that there were that many people out there who seemed preprogrammed for such evil.

Some of my schoolmates were chronic bullies, stalkers, and harassers. There was something truly wrong with them to act the way they did. There's just no other logical conclusion. Of course they got rewarded for it with new laws and policies that kept folks like me down and never batted an eye at them. In short, they got preferential treatment. The political class also seemed determined to enact policies to keep their victims from fighting back.

Let's cut the bullshit: Why are these screwballs allowed to own guns now? I know more than one of them have guns, because in the age of the Internet, word gets around about these things. Assault rifles, no less.

They committed serious crimes, yet they're out there hoarding guns like it's going out of style. These are people who physically assaulted me, and now they've got enough firepower to arm an entire country's military. (One of these individuals has also made racist Facebook posts.)

I'd say anybody who is in high school and is still at such an unadvanced stage of development that they plan their entire day around attacking schoolmates is probably never going to mature beyond that level. So why do we let them have guns as adults? They've proven they can't be trusted with cars (although the law gave them special rights in that regard). They've proven they can't be trusted in society. What makes you think we can trust them with assault weapons? I wouldn't even trust them with a He-Man cap gun.

That they can get guns is inexcusable. In fact, it's an abomination. Society quite rightly bans most violent criminals from having guns. The spoiled assholes I'm acquainted with are of course an exception. So my proposal for a gun bill almost writes itself. My plan is this: Anybody who engages in serial harassment in high school should be banned for life from owning a gun. Period. Full stop. End of discussion.

I don't expect this to become law, but if it did, we should be prepared for some king-sized howling from the talking heads about how we don't "understand" our enemies - who are consumed by complaints against a society that doesn't think of them as worthy of unadulterated praise. Too fucking bad.

My idea might not become reality, but the least I can do is make sure it gets heard. I'm going on 40, and to this day, I still think it's absolutely mind-boggling that the bad behavior of a small gang of career problem children not only went unpunished but actually came to be viewed as normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment