Thursday, April 23, 2015

Hey mystery illness...Can I spend the night with you...

An entire Wednesday was spoiled by a mystery illness, and the timing couldn't have been funnier.

On Tuesday evening, I started feeling like I was run over by a toilet. It ruined the entirety of the following day, and no definitive diagnosis could be made.

Was it a repeat of the great gallbladder infection of 2011? Some aspects were quite similar, but others not so much. Was it merely exhaustion from walking 10 miles across the city of Madison, Wisconsin, on Sunday while wearing a backpack? If poo. Was it (shudder!) a common cold? My peroxide miracle cure didn't kill it within the day - but the mystery disease didn't last much longer than a day after I poured peroxide in my ears, so there's some suspicion it may have been a stalled respiratory infection. Usually, a cold lays hulk to many days, and this illness resembled the beginning and end stages of a cold, without the sheer torture that always lurks between. Given the average incubation period of a cold, odds are I caught it when I was entering the Madison library and frantically marching towards the drinking fountain to refresh my dehydrated bod.

If it was anything contagious, at least it likely immunizes me for my next fact-finding mission, which is coming up in the painfully near future.