Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Doctor's office accused of imprisoning patient who couldn't pay

If this isn't a reason why America needs a health care system (which it barely has now), what is?

In Duluth, Georgia, a doctor's office has been charged with false imprisonment because of the way it allegedly treated a patient.

According to the indictment, the doctor and his assistants detained a woman against her will when she was unable to pay her bill. They had reportedly told her the visit would cost $98 but then charged her $755.

During the hours-long hostage crisis, staffers allowed the patient to get some paperwork out of her car, but they reportedly held her remote control keychain inside the office so she couldn't drive away.

If a doctor's office tells you that you'll be charged $98 but then tries charging you $755, what are you supposed to do? Are you supposed to pay them $755 after being told it would be $98? Fuck no! You fight it!

Apparently this is not an isolated incident. Other medical offices (namely, ones that are affiliated with greedy HMO's) have been reported to be pulling this exact same scam on an increasing basis.

A vast majority of doctors and medical staffers would never participate in such a rip-off. But you have to watch out for the very few who would. So if you go to any type of medical office for treatment, make sure nobody gets a hold of your wallet, your money, your credit card, or your keys. Your security first; good manners second.

(Source: http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/gwinnett/stories/2008/06/20/duluth_clinic_captive.html)

1 comment:

  1. Doctors offices are notorious for this kind of crap. Being I do not have insurance (I can't afford it) I had to pay out of my pocket the last time I had to get my yearly check up to renew my birth control prescription. I called on the phone to see how much it would cost, and they told me $200.

    Well I save the $200 out of my paycheck and go to the doctors office, and once the appointment is over, they say my bill is only 70 and that's all I would be billed at all. Shocked, I paid the $70 and used the rest of the money to help my parents pay the bills.

    Well no less than a week after I had to quit my job, I get a bill from the doctors office saying I owe them $130 and I have no way to pay it. Now I'm being hounded by bill collectors, all because they didn't charge me the full amount on the day of my visit, and proceeded to tell me I would not be charged further.

    Now my credit score is suffering because of this, the bastards.

    ReplyDelete