Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Violating an Allowed Cloud gets the old college try!

I'm still processing all my Allowed Cloud violations from a week ago!

This is one where I know I'm in the right: my appearance at Northern Kentucky University. For those unawares, I didn't have the greatest school record, but that's a story I don't have time to get into right now.

In 1995, when I was almost 3 years into my college studies at NKU, my previous school records caught up with me, and the school decided they didn't need me anymore. They sent me a letter that informed me that I was more or less expelled, and that I'd be arrested for "trespassing" if I showed up on campus again. The school did not follow its own stated policies regarding expulsions.

Months later, I tried using the university library, and sure enough, I was arrested for third-degree trespassing - even though it's illegal for police to arrest someone for third-degree trespassing in Kentucky, because it's such a minor charge.

All this despite the fact that NKU is a public institution. It has to follow the law when it decides to expel someone. They can't just wait until you're 3 years along and say, "Oh, this guy's got a history at other schools." And libraries at public universities are considered every bit as public as a regular community library is. Because they are public, it's impossible to trespass there.

The "trespassing" charge got more or less dismissed after a legal ordeal. Several years later, there was another protracted battle in which the university kept waffling and wavering about my status there.

I later continued my studies at a community college - without incident. But NKU apparently thinks it's still 1995. So this past May, I started challenging NKU again. I showed up on campus then just to be violating the trespass order.

And last Wednesday, I did it again:



I'm 100% within my rights. The trespass order had no validity 13 years ago, and it has none now. I pay for NKU with my tax dollars. It's public property, and I'm a member of the public.

If you don't like it, move to Russia.

No comments:

Post a Comment