Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Digital TV going down in flames

Repeat after me...

I.

Told.

You.

So.

I've explained for ages that digital TV is sensitive like a CD: Instead of getting a snowy (but still viable) signal, digital TV means a weak signal cuts off altogether.

And you thought I was just being paranoid, didn't you?

Now that analog TV has been discontinued, folks are learning the hard way about the rank rottenness of digital TV. And digital TV is going down like a lead gum bubble.

Cincinnati leads the nation in the number of calls to stations by viewers complaining about the loss of reception. Local stations have fielded almost 5,000 calls. Contrast this with nearby Dayton, where stations have logged only 33 calls.

I'm guessing Cincinnati earned this dubious distinction because of its high number of households with over-the-air TV and because of rugged terrain.

I've lost reception of at least 2 stations (not counting out-of-town outlets).

Give digital TV a few more months. I'm reminded of the ad for cable TV in which a distressed gentleman sings, "I want my cable back." I think we're going to see lots of people singing, "I want my analog back."

Digital TV is shaping up to be the New Math of the 2000s.

(Source: http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=5c49394b12564ab6832411d82ad3a991&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3a5c49394b12564ab6832411d82ad3a991Post%3a011d44bb-196a-45c1-a457-b053c0d33886&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment