Friday, January 9, 2009

Feels slickery!

I know you're still rolling on the floor over the Doublemint laughing gas, but I just made an even more long-awaited commercial discovery that has absolutely nothing to do with gum!

This is almost too good to be true, but here it comes...

I remember how in the '80s there was an ad for N'Ice throat lozenges in which a man who was playing cards with his wife got angry and threw his cards down because he had a sore throat.

For the record, N'Ice lozenges didn't work worth a damn. I don't know anyone foolish enough to think they did. I haven't seen N'Ice in years, but I'm assuming that's not because they didn't work - because products are more likely to be discontinued if they work.

When I discovered YouTube, this N'Ice commersh was the very first thing I searched for. I looked for the ad almost every day for the next 3 years, and I was just about ready to give up.

But now I'm glad I didn't! Someone has now posted on YouPube a CBS news brief from 1986. The description says it includes a "mini-commercial for N'Ice." This was another "Could it be?!" moment for me, and my blood started racing!

After the 30-second report about Tip O'Neill's retirement, there it was: my N'Ice commersh that was lost for years!

I'm assuming N'Ice no longer exists, so I have no objection to posting the clip (complete with the news brief) here:



"Don't lose your cool!" What do you expect him to do? Jump for joy because he has a sore throat?

And yes, the actor's resemblance to right-wing activist Gary Bauer has been noted.

2 comments:

  1. I remember having mono and buying these. They were OK but I've always remembered the word "slickery". God knows what chemicals they used to make them but I've never had anything like it since...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I've been working my brain trying to remember what commercial the feels slickery came from!!

    ReplyDelete