Monday, January 19, 2009

Lose a job...Sha na na na, sha na na na na...

Last month when I applied for that Census Bureau job, I figured I'd give the agency a month to respond.

All too predictably, they never did, so it's obvious I didn't get that job.

Looks like I'm going to have to live off my writing gigs for a while longer. Surprise, surprise. But I've managed this for 4 years, so I guess I can manage a bit longer.

I can tell what happened here. Probably someone else applied for the same census job who had a diploma from a high school that was more "favored." I graduated from an inner-city public school, but I have to compete against pampered exurbanites for jobs. (Incidentally, the school I graduated from is not in the school district I'm always criticizing here.)

The urban school I attended was just as good as or better than other schools at the time. But it didn't have prestige, so you know how that goes. The Establishment takes care of its own, regardless of merit. In BushAmerica, patronage and influence trump knowledge and skill.

Inevitably, some wingnut is going to blame me for not getting the census job, as if it's my fault I wasn't allowed attending schools except in central cities. Then again, I'm glad I got to attend an urban school instead of continuing to be subjected to the suburbs' rightist attitudes - so the joke's on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment