Thursday, February 26, 2009

My tax dollars at work

Personally, I have nothing against "In God We Trust" license plates - just as long as anyone who wants it pays for it, just like those who pay for other specialty plates.

Getting the plate for free means you're getting it at taxpayer expense.

Now Kentucky wants to offer the religious plates for free - much as Indiana has been doing for some time. In Indiana, the entire purpose of the plates was in fact to transfer taxpayer money to religious bodies.

Offering the religious plates for free when other specialty plates require a fee is unconstitutional, of course. I'd give this idea a pass if the religious plates required a fee like the others. But lawmakers couldn't be sensible about it, could they?

Do you realize that if this idea passes in Kentucky, my tax money would be spent to sponsor religion, without my consent?

I will be one of the first people to sign up as a plaintiff in the lawsuit that will inevitably be filed. In America, you follow the Constitution. Period.

I wonder what the reaction would be if a legislator introduced a bill to allow free specialty plates supporting separation of church and state.

I work hard and pay taxes, and I'd much rather see my tax money spent on schools, transportation, and health care than on something that's not even constitutional.

(Source: http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/40159652.html)

No comments:

Post a Comment