Thursday, February 12, 2009

CBCS tries extorting money, fails

About a half-hour ago, I received a recorded phone call from an outfit called CBCS. The recording claimed it was trying to collect a debt from a person whose name I didn't even recognize.

Right away, I knew it was some sleazebag firm trying to extort money just like Wells Fargo tried doing.

The recording gave me a toll-free number to call CBCS back.

So I did. And when I did, I mashed my hand on the phone keypad to make sure their ears got my drift.

I looked for information about CBCS on the Internet and found this:

http://www.mcgath.com/cbcs.html

It turns out CBCS is indeed a scam. CBCS is some sort of rogue collection agency that goes after people for debts they don't owe, and calls them liars when they prove they don't owe it.

I also found this:

http://www.thenoiseboard.com/index.php?showtopic=180957

According to this, CBCS has begun claiming that failing to answer its calls constitutes acknowledgment that you owe the debt. Even if CBCS was an honest firm, there's still no legal basis for this assumption.

So they're not getting a penny from me. I'm not going to fall for this fraud.

When CBCS calls you begging for money, now you'll know they're scammers. Don't give them any personal information. Ever. And don't pay them a cent.

Hopefully the government won't give them a bailout like they did for Wells Fargo.

No comments:

Post a Comment