Monday, November 17, 2008

How the states got their shapes

By bipping. That's how.

Just joking!

I had some store credit at Amazon, so I buyed a book: 'How The States Got Their Shapes' by playwright and screenwriter Mark Stein (who is not to be confused with right-wing commentator Mark Steyn). The title of the tome is self-explanatory: It describes how the 50 states and the District of Columbia got their often uproarious shapes.

It took 8 days for the Postal Service to deliver it, but they finally brang it today, and I can hardly wait to read it! It takes me a long time to read a book. Me try hard to read. But this one looks like a real page turner!

This volume is much more detailed than I expected, and it sounds like something that's tailor-made for the Great Royal Tim.

I used to work for the Department of the Interior. (I wasn't born rich like the GOP's base was, so I had to find some type of profession.) From then on, I've learned more about geography, like how Liberty Street in Cincinnati is the survey baseline for most of southwestern Ohio, and that the region's entire road grid is off because of errors made when the baseline was surveyed. America's state boundaries are full of similar lore.

'Lore' is a funny word. I always confused it with 'lure' - maybe because it lures people in to listen. And listen I will. As Alabama is the first state in alphabetical order, maybe now I'll learn why it has that testicle-shaped protrusion in the southwest.

A book about the shapes of states! Amazing! Discover your own frontier!

No comments:

Post a Comment