Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Right-wing bigots attack rallies

I refuse to get in a big debate right now over California's Proposition 8. Yes, this is the referendumb for which the bureaucracies of both the Catholic church and the Mormon church abused their tax-exempt statuses, but that's another matter entirely.

But, in an article about the referendum, my eyes did detect one of the most unfortunate developments of the entire controversy. At rallies against Proposition 8, a lesbian couple was repeatedly attacked by motorists who yelled anti-gay slurs at them. (I'm lifting my avoidance of the Los Angeles Times for this story.)

Do people realize that a hate crime was committed by said motorists? It was terroristic threatening for certain. If all the motorists did was just criticize the rally (without doing anything so obviously out of line as yelling slurs), it wouldn't be such a serious concern. But nope, they had to take it 10 steps further, didn't they? Disagreeing in a dignified manner doesn't do it for them.

Someone ought to be keeping tabs on the right-wing bigots who'd do something like that. I sincerely hope the rally participants saved the license plate numbers of those who threatened them.

As an economic populist, I've long condemned bigoted attacks against the poor. But I will also condemn attacks against others. I will condemn these attacks because I'm an American. It's my right and duty to condemn such harassment.

There's very few things that are further beneath the dignity of humanity than Fred Phelps-style attacks against rallies. I challenge anyone to find any reason why motorists threatening a rally is tolerated. (And I've noticed lately that any time I make a challenge like this, the other side always comes up empty.)

(Source: http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-redriverside9-2008nov09,0,1024594.story)

4 comments:

  1. I wonder if you even read that article all the way through, Tim. It hardly mentions this alleged "attack" at all. And it doesn't mention any threats or physical attacks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The article mentioned the attacks right there in plain sight.

    What the motorists did was designed to be a threat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim. This is the third time in two days you've attempted to extrapolate based on perceptions floating around in that fascinating brain of yours. You're basing this purely on imagination, not facts. It's not productive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe because it's the third time in two days right-wing bigots have attacked a rally.

    ReplyDelete