Saturday, November 29, 2008

To map or not to map?

To map or not to map? That is the question!

Drawing bicycling maps for Cincinnati area neighborhoods is sort of a side job I have. I've completed maps for 2 small northern Kentucky towns, and now I've finished one for Cincinnati's Pendleton neighborhood.

I really didn't know how to handle this one. There's a handful of neighborhoods in Cincinnati that boast a spectacularly high crime rate, and I don't have much reason to visit these areas. So I almost never do.

Are they safer than a suburban Catholic high school I once attended? By a long shot! That doesn't mean the area is safe: A nearby neighborhood did host an infamous gun battle outside a school a few years back.

Almost everything within Cincinnati city limits is reasonably safe, but there's always exceptions. Under Bush, the crime rate has soared locally as it has nationally, so no individual can still count on their own safety on every street. Anyone who seriously thinks America is safer than 30 years ago has their head up their ass.

I completed my Pendleton map because it's such a tiny area. Pendleton is a wedge-shaped neighborhood just northeast of downtown. Pendleton includes much of Bunker Alley, for which bunker blasts are named. (Just joking about the bunker blast part.)

Speaking of bunkers, to see my maps, point yours here:

http://bunkerblast.info/maps

No comments:

Post a Comment