Tuesday, November 18, 2008

More DLC wussiness

Senate Democrats (who already brang you the confirmation of Michael Mukasey) strike again!

Now - in all their DLC foolishness - they've decided to keep the increasingly unpopular Joe Lieberman as chairman of the powerful Homeland Security Committee.

The Homeland Security Committee, of all things! I don't think Lieberman has ever regretted supporting the Patriot Act, so this certainly isn't a committee he should be heading. That's like making Dan Lungren drug czar.

For me, the problem with this isn't so much that Lieberman didn't endorse Obama. I went to an Obama rally, and I'm satisfied with Obama's victory, but I didn't endorse Obama outright (for I questioned whether he was progressive enough).

The problem isn't even that Lieberman is no longer a full-fledged Democrat. In fact, I'm not either, for I'm a Green.

The problem is that Lieberman is more or less now a Republican! He spoke at the Republican National Convention, for crying out loud! And his policy positions have shifted well to the right, especially on issues like homeland security.

Yet Senate Democrats voted 42 to 13 to keep him as committee chairman??? Worse, they did it by secret ballot, so we'll never know which senators sneered at their own supporters by backing Lieberman.

Partisan Democratic blogs want Harry Reid ousted as the Senate's Democratic leader because of this. And I hope they do give Reid the boot. I hope House Democrats do the same to Nancy Pelosi as Speaker.

(Source: http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/11/18/lieberman-keeps-powerful-chairmanship-post)

No comments:

Post a Comment