Wednesday, November 18, 2015

The fight to sell books never ends

Some of you know that I've had 2 books published through Lulu.com - The Fight That Never Ends (2005) and A Mind's Smithereens (2010). These books were ostensibly released to mainstream bookstores - in addition to being sold online.

The 2005 title was a generally serious work about my struggles with being harassed at school. The abuse I suffered from ages 11 to 16 was so bad I couldn't encapsulate it in any format other than a book. It's just not possible. It may well be the absolute worst series of school assaults ever - in any society.

I'm serious. It was that bad.

Unlike works by other local writers, the local media never promoted my book. They wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot-tall Sesame Street sign. Despite this cover-up - and the fact that the attackers paid off authorities to not be punished - the book probably led to the "retirement" of 2 school administrators.

Unlike that book, my second book was intended to be uproarious. This "book about nothing" consisted largely of humorous anecdotes about a Michael Jackson-themed high school art project angering my teacher, a neighborhood kid stealing candy from Walgreen's, my newsletter scaring the DLC, and more.

People buyed these books. But not nearly enough.

So what I plan to do soon is offer a PDF of the books on Scribd at a discount. In other words, they will be available as an e-book. Nobody ever heard of Scribd back when the volumes were first published, but now it's used extensively.

Of course, you'll still be able to buy the books in convenient book form (as Metro Graphic Arts would say).

You're gonna peep, weep, and oggle-beep 'em until your face flies off in public.