Thursday, December 3, 2009

'Andy Griffith Show' takes on big banks?

For years, I've heard rumors that 'The Andy Griffith Show' once featured a hilarious episode about a spoiled child who throws tantrums every time he doesn't get his way.

This series was before my time, so I don't claim to be an expert on it. But I was hoping that this episode - if it did exist - would turn up someday on YouTube.

Well, guess what? I got my wish!

For the record, this 1963 episode is one of several 'Andy Griffith Show' installments that is now in the public domain, thanks to a clerical error. So its appearance on YouTube is perfectly legal. This is particularly satisfying because some fans of the show consider this the best episode ever.

When I found this episode on YouTube, the spoiled brat who moves into Mayberry reminded me so much of some of the bullies at my high school. He went through life expecting something for nothing, and his appearance culminated in an embarrassing shitfit.

Then I figured this episode could also be used as an allegory for the culture of privilege that defines the current right-wing Tea Parties or for big banks that demand free money in the form of bailouts.

Part 1:



Part 2:



Part 3:



After viewing this installment, there's a lesson to be learned for me too. I feel like Opie when he looks on in awe during the new kid's meltdown at the police station. Opie learns that being so spoiled is actually the new kid's major weakness.

I guess the main lesson for me is that I've emerged as a better person than the big banks for not being so spoiled. Look at the way the little crybaby in this show behaves. Do I really want to be like him?

If the big banks only knew that they looked like the spoiled brat in that episode when they demand taxpayer-funded bailouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment